Sunday, February 18, 2007

The love of a dog...



Matese came to me about six years ago. A coworker of mine owned several huskies that she'd rescued. One day she showed me a picture of Matese and pretty much told me that he was my dog. At first I was adamant that I didn't want a dog. I didn't want the responsibility. I was very sick at the time and was about to undergo a year long regime of medicine that was going to have me physically down and out. I was dreading having to go through this and certainly didn't want to be dealing with a new dog,who happened to be a year old at the time.


Will, I decided that I'd meet Matese ( they called him Miles) but made no promises to take him home. When I arrived at my coworkers home, Matese walked up to me, looked me right in the eye and made it clear that we were meant to be together. I looked at my coworker and said I'd take him. She smiled and said " I told you".

That year was long and hard. The medicine made me sicker than I already was. I was always tired and pretty much stayed in the house. Matese was always right by my side. He knew I didn't feel good, that my energy was low and that I actually needed him. His unconditional love was a great comfort to me and heldped me get through that very difficult year.

Seven years later, I'm married and Matese has a new mom. I think she loves him more than I do. Dawn and Matese are inseparable. Each morning she gets up, the first thing she does is check on Matese. The first thing she does when she get home from work is check on Matese. And the last thing she does before she goes to bed, is check on Matese.

We're lucky to have him in our lives. Here's to one in a thousand beautiful things!

No comments:

Post a Comment