Saturday, February 24, 2007

My Wife

Dawn, my wife, my dearest and most trusted friend who I sometimes get mad at and who sometimes gets mad at me. But, how sweet she is when she forgives me and how wonderful she is when I've forgiven her. Each day there's a reason for me to be proud of her. Whatever she decides to do, its good as done. She leaves nothing to chance but has a faith stronger than silence. I love her. Never have I felt so supported and secure. She's so easy to love and to be open with. I once told my friend, that one of the things I like about her most is that she likes me. When I met her, something about her allowed me to just relax and be me. It was if she magically relaxed me, like an opiate-I could just be me. How could I not fall in love with her. I do have an addictive personality. (that's another story)

My family adores her for her down to earth spirit. She loves to laugh, has a touch of bourgeois about her, but keeps it real.

They say when you marry someone you marry their entire family. Well, if that's the case then I married up. I have the best in-laws you could imagine. First my mother in law. I call her Momma D. She's awesome. She has such a giving and warm sense about her. She's stylish and sharp and everyone loves her. Did I mention that she's funny, loves music and having fun. We always talk about current events and the plight of the black community. She was a teacher for 30 years and really knows how to relate to the younger generation. God knew what he was doing when he blessed me with her.

Russ and Joan, my aunt and uncle in law: I adore them. Joan keeps me laughing. Just thinking about her while I'm writing makes me laugh.(LOL). She's the kind of woman who doesn't take herself to seriously. Mind you, don't ever think that you can take advantage of her, that's not what I mean. She's smart, intelligent and so confident in who she is, there's no need to take herself so seriously. She's a lover of life. She enjoys the finer things in life and usually finds them at TJ Maxx.

Now Russ is my man. We sit and talk just the way me and my father use to. He, like my father, is a retired Col. My father passed away many years ago and its been a long time since I've looked up to someone like my father. Not that Russ is old enough to be my father, there's just many similarities between him and my dad. The first time we sat and talked I knew I had a friend for life. Usually when we all get together for a holiday or a special weekend, Russ and I are the only guys, so of course we feel very special. At least I do. He's probably more use to it then I am. Did I mention we love the same genre of movies? He's the man and his family knows it. He gives abundantly.

Last but certainly not least is my girl Brandis, Russ and Joan's daughter, Momma D's niece and Dawn first cousin and the love of Dawn's life. Bran has got it goin' on. Talk about hip, smart, intelligent, soulful spirited and beautiful from the inside to the out, that's Bran. Like the entire family, Bran loves a good conversation whether its about politics or hip hop, she can hold it down. She knows all the spots in the hottest cities and is making her mark in the sports apparel industry. Did I mention that she works for Nike? She loves to laugh, chill with her peeps and take a good nap. I remember when I was dating Dawn and she told me her cousin was coming into town. Dawn needed me to pick her up from the airport and I volunteered. I was being nice to Dawn, you know, trying to get my foot in the door. Little did I know that the door I was opening was to a room bigger than I could have ever imagined. A room filled with love. acceptance, and most of all with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment